OS X Yosemitein coupled with iOS 8, have the feature called Handoff: a function that allows you to make / receive calls and send / receive messages directly on your Mac without having to touch your iPhone / iPad. Basically you can use the Mac as an extension of your iDevice. In this article we see how to check if your Mac supports iOS 8 Handoff.
While Handoff available on all devices iOS 8 is OS X Yosemite, its dependence on Bluetooth Low Energy (THE) makes it a limited service that works only on new Macs. Below we provide a list of compatibility, useful for checking if your Mac (MacBook, Mac mini, Mac Pro) supports Handoff.
Which Mac supports Handoff of iOS 8
- MacBook Air model mid 2011.
- MacBook Pro 2012 model
- iMac 2012 model
- Mac mini model 2011
- Mac Pro 2013 model
Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (LE):
Handoff requires that the devices are connected / paired via Bluetooth. But not any version of Bluetooth. Apple designed Handoff specifically to work with Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy). So only the devices that support it Bluetooth v4.0 they will be able to manage Handoff.
interesting to note that some users have tried to use a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter and managed to play Handoff on your Mac is not compatible. But there have been other users who haven't had this luck.
How to locate the Bluetooth version of the Mac with OS X Yosemite:
- If used OS X Yosemite, check if your Mac provided with Bluetooth LE very simple:
- Click the Apple icon and open the Menu.
- click on Information on this Mac.
- Now, click on System Report
- In the next window, in Hardware, click on Bluetooth
- Check for the presence of Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: S in the right pane. If it appears "S", The Mac supports Bluetooth LE is Handoff will work.
How to find the version of the previous Bluetooth conversions of OS X:
- Click the Apple icon and open the Menu
- Now, click Information on this Mac
- Then on More information
- click on System Report
- InHardware click on Bluetooth
- Then scroll down in the right pane until you find LMP Version.
- If the LMP version says ?0 6 ?Your Mac supports Bluetooth LE is Handoff will work. If not, it means that you are not lucky.
You may also be interested in these articles: