With iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite Apple introduced a new feature called Continuity, which allows Mac, iPhone and iPad to interact, allowing you to call and send messages from the Mac or the iPad, start writing an email on the iPhone and complete it on the Mac and much more. The features provided by Continuity I'm Handoff, Instant Hotspot is Airdrop and you can use them only if your devices have Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy. In this guide we will see how to use Continuity on unsupported Macs.
Despite this, Apple has decided that not all Macs with Bluetooth 4.0 are compatible with this technology, such as the 2011 MacBook Air. If you want to use it too Continuity on unsupported Macs with OS X 10.11 El Capitan, with all its features like Handoff, in this guide I show you how to do it even if your Mac is not officially compatible or does not have Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy.
How to activate Continuity on Macs not supported with El Capitan
The first thing you need to do after checking that your Mac with OS X 10.11 El Capitan not officially supported, check if it has Bluetooth 4.0.
- Click on the Apple logo at the top left and select Information of this Mac.
- In the window that opens, choose System report
- In the left bar select Bluetooth and read what is written in the field Bluetooth low power consumption supported:. If the value Yes then you have Bluetooth 4.0, otherwise you have a previous Bluetooth module.
If you don't have Bluetooth 4.0 on your Mac and you want to use the Continuity features, you need to purchase a USB Bluetooth adapter LE 4.0 like this:
If you have Bluetooth 4.0, you can continue with the guide.
- Turn off your Mac.
- Restart it by keeping the keys pressedcmd+Runtil recovery mode starts.
- Now open the menuUtility->Terminal.
- In the terminal enter this command and press enter:
- Restart your Mac.
- Download Continuity Activation Tool from this link and extract the contents of the package (by double clicking on the downloaded file).
- Now open the extracted folder and double click on the file Continuity Activation Tool. If the tool does not open, follow the guide below to allow OS X El Capitan to open the applications of unknown developers. If you had to buy the Bluetooth USB adapter, insert it into your Mac before starting the tool.
- A window will appear in which you must press Run to continue with the installation and enter the Mac password when requested.
- In the new window, type 1 and press enter.
- The hardware check will be performed, at the end of which you must type 1 and press enter to proceed.
The process to enable Continuity on unsupported Macs will start. At the end of the installation the writing will appear Do you want to enable a Automatic check for Continuity each boot?. Type 1 and press enter to confirm.
At the end of all the steps it is necessary to restart the Mac. If you press any key on the keyboard, the tool will automatically restart the Mac. You are almost at the end. The only thing you need to do is go in System Preferences -> General and enable, if it should be inactive, the entry Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.
On your iPhone and / or iPad, go in Settings -> General -> Recommended handoffs and apps and make sure it is Handoff that App installed are active.
The guide to activate Continuity on an unsupported Mac finished, and at this point you can finally use all the features of Continuity even if your Mac with OS X El Capitan 10.11 is not officially supported. If you have problems, I suggest you disconnect all devices (both iOS and Mac) from the iCloud account and log in again. If you need clarification on the procedure to activate Continuity on unsupported Macs, don't hesitate to contact us via comments.
Along the way, Apple abandons its older devices without allowing them to upgrade to new features. In addition to Continuity, Handoff technology can no longer be used on older Macs. To overcome this shortcoming, we have written this guide on how to activate Handoff on Macs not supported with macOS Sierra.